Wednesday, August 20, 2008

Getting There

Weight: 206.2
Delta M: -2.2
Mileage: 34 mile group ride/30 minute morning trainer ride
August Mileage: Let's just call it 300 and work from there…


We were about 15 miles into the group ride, and I was still feeling pretty good. I looked down at my computer and damn near swallowed my water bottle. We were rolling at about 24 mph, and my heart rate was bouncing around between 150 and 155 bpm. Two months ago that kind of effort would have caused my heart to collapse in on itself and then explode in a blue blooded supernova, or at least a just a plain old nova. Hell, a month ago I would been hydrating on my own vomit. Of course all good things must end and I was eventually dropped. I did a couple of pulls though, and even managed to bridge a good 20 yard gap when the pack split up. That one cost me though. Anyway, it was a great ride. We average 19.5 mph, and my average heart rate was 150, which is about 70% of my max, over about 1 hour and 40 minutes. Not too shabby for a fat dude.

I think I need to take a day off tomorrow. I'll do some recovery on the trainer in the basement before work, then walk during lunch, but I have to clean the kitchen before the Warden gets home Friday or I'll be spending a few nights in solitary confinement on the couch.

My single speed is in the shop getting a new bottom bracket. Thank God for warranties. All that power is hard on the hardware I guess, or at least that's what I am still telling myself. It helps me get over the hills, so just leave me be OK.

No comments: